I will never forget this game and specific play, which happened the day after Thanksgiving in 1998. I was attending the game with my wife, along with my brother-in-law, Robert, and sister-in-law, Debbie. This was the first and only NCAA game Debbie had ever attended and it had been 12+ years since Robert attended a game. Both had just arrived to Austin from their home in California and had just decided to come with us to this game. Boy, did they pick a good game. Ricky Williams was phenomenal and Texas Longhorns beat the Texas A&M Aggies. In this last regular season game, Ricky Williams broke the NCAA career rushing mark with 295 yards and a TD.
This game was special to Robert and I, because we are both die-hard Dallas Cowboys fans, who cherished the great years of “#33″ Tony Dorsett. As you can see in the video, Tony Dorsett was in attendance and on the field. I hate seeing my favorite player’s records get beat, but when it is another one of your favorite players breaking it, it makes it extra special to have #1 and #2. Being in attendance makes it even more exciting and memorable.
Enjoy watching and Hook ‘em!
Ricky breaks a big one to pass Tony Dorsett for the all-time rushing record
The run for the Heisman and how the race was won.
- Rushed for nine Td’s and 385 yards in the season’s first two games
- On 9/26 lit up Rice for 318 rushing yards and six Td’s.
- On 10/5 blasted Iowa State with 350 yards on the ground and five Td’s.
- Helped Texas roll over Oklahoma 34-3 with 166 total yards and two scores.
- In the regular season finale, broke the NCAA career rushing mark with 295
total yards and a Td’s in a 26-24 win over Texas A&M.
|Ricky Williams 1998 Heisman Season Stats